Tuesday 1 May 2018

Book Review: THROUGH THE LAST DOOR by J.A. Jaken

It's been a while since I wrote one of these but I honestly don’t remember the last time I read a book that not only hooked my interest but kept me interested till the very end; that brought me so many varied emotions and so much sincere pleasure. From the moment I started reading THROUGH THE LAST DOOR I had an impression of a masterfully crafted book, steeped in history, tradition, myth and lore of that incredible fantasy world the author has created. I felt like every word and every sentence was cherished and honed to perfection, creating a deliciously rich narrative, full of vivid descriptions, endearing characters, intriguing relationships and steadfast friendships. I liked the fact that the author didn’t throw us right into action but gave us time to acquaint ourselves with the world and the characters around us – gave us an opportunity to invest in their goals and well-being before jumping into the fray – so that when one of them perished half-way through the book the shock and the blow were severe and real indeed. I actually cried. I could not believe that such an amazing character was gone for good and so soon too! I really want to thank the author for gradually easing us into the story and for creating such an amazing set of characters: Kaori, Hunter, Yura, Ben, Haku, Ishaya, Malo, others… brave and strong, honest and loyal, intelligent and wise, fierce and gentle, funny and grave, insecure and full of doubts... I thought that the book took a somewhat different route as compared to other fantasy stories so that the events unfolding on its pages took me completely by surprise. I also enjoyed the romance, which, just like the rest of the story, wasn’t rushed. It was sweet and tender and precious and heartwarming. I knew before long that this was the book that I would come back to again and again. I like books that make me feel like coming back home to family and friends and I think that THROUGH THE LAST DOOR is one such book. I have downloaded it for free but I have already bought the second book in the series and I can’t wait to return to Kazure. However, I am strongly tempted to reread the first book again :) I am that much in love with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment