Wednesday 31 March 2021

Edward Montford through other people's eyes

Sir Charles Montford – 

It is not easy in my advanced age to reconsider my opinion, least of all learn that I have erred terribly throughout my entire life. But the last few months proved that I knew none of my children as well as I thought I did. Presently I am questioning myself whether I have been a good parent and a just father to them. Emma will have something to say on this head, I am sure, but after that infamous trick of hers I do not know what else she expected me to do. In any case, it is Edward and not she who has every reason to complain of the past abuse. And yet he never does. No, he continues a grateful, humble and loving son that I always had and never cared for. I have been most unfair towards him and always treated him with disdain and neglect. Charles, my eldest, was always a favourite with me and Edward, well, I do not think that I ever paid him any attention. But he is a good boy. A fine person. Of sound reason and affectionate heart. It was Edward's timely counsel and unfailing support that made it possible for me to endure Emma's betrayal and stop me from committing a grievous mistake.


Charles Montford – 

I must admit that I was wrong about Edward. Though, of course, not on all accounts. After all, just because he has recently assisted me with a delicate matter does not change the fact that he is no match for me. He is not a horseman or a gambler, he doesn't care for shooting, never tried boxing and I do not know but that he wants to remain a bachelor. He certainly has shown no interest in any young lady as of yet, even though I know for a fact that Lady Sophia was rather keen on the idea of a match between him and one of her nieces. But, perhaps, this is for the best as Edward is not of a sociable turn and would only embarrass his wife in society. He always preferred books and isolation and I think father encouraged him to exercise his fondness for both as it saved him from the necessity of spending our family’s considerably dried up funds on his formal education and worldly pleasures. But, I dare say, Edward has always been happy with his lot. At any rate, he has never complained. Not even when I chased him about the estate with my whip. Such fun I used to have. Well, he certainly hasn’t forgotten the taste of it. And if he ever gets any dangerous ideas, I will be there to beat them out of him. 


Emma Montford – 

You might as well be scandalized by my report – all my friends are – but Edward is the worst brother on Earth. He cares nothing for me. Nothing. He is disobliging and disagreeable in the extreme and he is friends with the very person who treated me in the most injurious, disgraceful and disrespectful fashion. Which goes to show that Edward cares neither for his sister nor her honour. I wager you have never thought that shy, mild-tempered, harmless Edward should one day betray his own kin. Well, to find that he should continue to associate with Mr. Henry Chadderton at all was a shock. But to find that he should keep the man's company after the warning I had given him is beyond provoking. I simply cannot comprehend why he didn’t cut his acquaintance when it was no longer necessary to maintain it. But after everything that has passed between Chadderton and our family I cannot forgive Edward for associating with him of his own free will. How can one trust such a brother? How can one rely on him? Father should never have sent me with Edward to London for he didn’t have my interests at heart at all. And now I have every reason to believe that he set my father against my husband in the most infamous manner. Well, on his own head be it. I am certainly not going to put in a good word for him with papa or reconcile him with Charles when he decides to come back to his senses and his family.


Mr. Jude Hartley – 

I'd rather cut my right hand off than speak of Montford. I loathe that son of a devil and I do not wish to hear his name or see his face as long as I live. I fear it is inevitable, considering our present circumstances, but if he is not a complete thickhead, he shall never cross my path again. Or else I shall expose him and Chadderton to the world. Let them both be hanged. This is the only justice that I can hope for now that my own bit of revenge did not work quite the way I expected it would. I dare say I was too much affected by the shocking turn of events to think properly of the consequences of my actions; and as I was struck by what I believed an excellent scheme, that would injure Montford exceedingly, I proceeded to act upon it with too much passion and too little sense not to suffer for my carelessness later. But though Edward Montford is too noble to expose me in turn – he does look the type to enjoy martyrdom – there is Chadderton who shall not hesitate to betray me again; and as I am not keen on the idea of public exposure and castigation I am bound to keep silence. But I swear on my life that I shall find other means by which to destroy the both of them. 


Lady Sophia – 

Well, all I can say is that he is no gentleman and when it comes to ladies a perfect savage. You can take my word for it for he treated my niece Mary very ill. He danced with her every dance, sat down with her, read to her, had long walks with her, let her draw his profile and after a passage of almost a week failed to propose to her! I have never in all my life met with such ill-treatment and to think that he is the son of Sir Charles, who is always so gallant and attentive! In fact, it was Sir Charles himself who asked me to think of a suitable wife for his younger son. He did warn me that Edward was extremely shy and taciturn and has not been out and about much. But I had expected him to inherit some of his father's ways with women.


BUY on AMAZON

READ with KINDLE UNLIMITED

No comments:

Post a Comment